No matter what life stage your pet is in, the importance of a wellness exam can't be underestimated. These services are essential to monitoring and maintaining your pet’s overall health. At Ellendale Veterinary Services, serving the Oakes, Edgeley, and Ellendale areas, we provide comprehensive wellness exams as part of your pet's health plan.
Discovering Underlying Health Problems
Understandably, life can get busy, and it is easy to go at least a year before your pet has seen a veterinarian for a check-up. The slow progression of certain health issues can creep up on your pet. Your pet may experience hidden pain or discomfort that can be difficult to identify.
Frequency of Pet Wellness Exams
Our veterinarians recommend bringing your pet in for a wellness exam at least once per year. This number may differ depending on if your pet has special circumstances, if it is a puppy/kitten, or a senior-aged pet. You will also save more money by avoiding costly veterinarian bills that could have otherwise been prevented.
Preparing For A Pet Wellness Exam
It is important to know as much information as possible regarding your pet. The valuable information can include the kind of food your pet eats, sleeping patterns, current medications or supplements, and any medical documentation. This information allows you to discuss potential treatments with our veterinarians and helps us get a bigger picture of your pet’s health.
What To Expect
- Examination of overall health: Our veterinarian will check all of the extremities, as well as the ears, nose, eyes, skin, and coat. We will also look at your pet's teeth and gums to identify any potential dental issues.
- Listen to heart and lungs: We will listen to your pet's heart and lungs with a stethoscope to identify any possible irregularities. Palpations of the abdomen and throat are also important.
- Blood/fecal tests: These tests are important to discover any underlying issues your pet may have and establish baselines for later examinations.
- Vaccinations: All pets should receive core vaccinations to prevent the spread of infectious and deadly diseases. You should expect more vaccines in the first year and a half of your pet's life.
- Preventative services: A pet exam is the best way to prevent issues that can worsen if not detected early. Our veterinarians can recommend lifestyle changes or medication, to treat a condition early or avoid it entirely.
Contact Ellendale Veterinary Services
Our veterinarians are committed to your pet's overall health and wellness. If you live in the Oakes, Edgeley, or Ellendale areas, call our team today at (701) 742-2486 to schedule an appointment for a wellness exam with one of our veterinarians.
Click here to see our competitive prices!